Our Space provides support services for LGBTQ youth in Alameda County.
Our Space serves LGBTQ youth ages 12 - 22, many of whom live in poverty and are impacted by homelessness, the child welfare or juvenile justice systems. Approximately 80 percent of Our Space members are youth of color. We served over 450 youth last year.
At the heart of everything we do at Our Space (and hanging in glitter on our wall), we ask this question: "How do you show fierce love to yourself and your community?"
We ask this question because in a world where queer and trans youth are stigmatized and marginalized daily, we know it takes a lot of ferocity to stand up against that hate and choose to love ourselves AND our community unconditionally and for all that we are.
All Our Space services are infused with this concept of fierce love and include:
- LGBTQ community center programming on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3:30 to 6:00 PM at our community center in Hayward (please check Facebook for updated information on scheduling)
- A monthly LGBTQ intergenerational community potluck on the 4th Thursday of the month from 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Therapy for LGBTQ youth ages 14-21 with LGBTQ-identified therapists (youth must be enrolled in or eligible for Medi-Cal)
- Annual September East Bay Youth Pride celebration, organized by LGBTQ youth for LGBTQ youth. For more information, check our Facebook page.
- Trainings for providers working with LGBTQ youth
- School-based workshops on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression
- Referrals and linkages to critical support services (for example, housing, medical, legal, etc.)
- Curriculum for providers working with LGBTQ youth. Click here for the accompanying webinar.
- Youth Acceptance Collaborative (YAC), in partnership with Our Space, provides one-to-one support services for youth in foster care or at risk of entering foster care, their families, and their caregivers. YAC services are available for youth under 18, who are impacted by their sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or gender expression (SOGIE), to support them in placement stabilization and permanency. To refer yourself, a young person, family, or caregiver to YAC, please complete and submit the referral form. YAC Referral Form