Our Space is an LGBTQ youth community center that holds the experiences, strengths and needs of systems-involved youth at our core, and recognizes these youth as fierce and fabulous change-agents in our community. Our Space is located in Hayward, CA and is a program of Bay Area Youth Center/Sunny Hills Services.
At the heart of everything we do at Our Space (and hanging in glitter on our wall), we ask this question: "How do you show fierce love to yourself and your community?"
We ask this question because in a world where queer and trans youth are stigmatized and marginalized daily, we know it takes a lot of ferocity to stand up against that hate and choose to love ourselves AND our community unconditionally and for all that we are. All Our Space services are infused with this concept of fierce love and include:
- LGBTQ community center programming 4 days per week
- LGBTQ youth peer support groups & performance, healing and community-building groups
- A monthly, LGBTQ intergenerational community potluck
- LGBTQ competent and affirming therapy and case management services
- Specialized support services for LGBTQ youth in foster card, and their caregivers and families
- Annual East Bay Youth Pride celebration, organized by LGBTQ youth for LGBTQ youth
- Referrals and linkages to critical support services (i.e. housing, medical, legal, etc.)
Our Space serves LGBTQ youth ages 14 - 24, many of whom live in poverty and are impacted by homelessness, the child welfare or juvenile justice systems. Approximately 90 percent of Our Space members are youth of color. We serve over 100 unduplicated youth each year.
Service providers, click here for the beFierce! document. This publication was written by Stephanie Perron, the Program Director of Our Space. It is a toolkit for providers who are working with LGBTQ Foster Youth.
Stephanie Perron, LCSW
phone: 510.727.9401 x112
The Youth Acceptance Collaborative (YAC) provides individualized support services to LGBTQ youth in foster care or at risk of entering foster care, their families and caregivers. YAC services are available to LGBTQ youth under the age of 18 to support them in placement stabilization and permanency. To refer a youth and/or their family/caregiver, please fill out the YAC referral form and fax it to: 510-727-9405 attn: Intake Coordinator. Click here for an informational brochure. Click here for the referral form.